[Javascript] Thanks & follow-up, was: Handling child window visibility...

Matt Barton javascript at mattbarton.org
Thu Aug 12 11:12:36 CDT 2004

From: "Hassan Schroeder" <hassan at webtuitive.com>

> Alternatively, you could decouple your popup window from the running
> background process by using frames or an iframe, so the main part of
> the window loads immediately, grabs focus, and waits for the DB data
> (while possibly displaying a "loading..." message).

This is probably the method I'd favour if it were my call.  You get the
benefit of being able to bring the window to the front immediately, but
also, with a "Loading..." message you're managing the expectations of your
user; In my experience a user is much happier waiting (a short time) for
something if they can see a little spinning twiddly saying 'Loading ...'.

Matt