[Javascript] Free HTML Editor For Macintosh

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Feb 27 18:38:27 CST 2004

I agree with Mike -- often the limitations perceived by a novice programmer
are those of the development environment, and not the language itself.  I
still do nearly all my high-level coding by hand using plain old text
editors -- TextEdit and SimpleText are available on most of the Macs I've
come across.  [Yes, I still use vi by preference, and not pico, emacs, or
other warm-and-fuzzy graphical tools which eat up half your screen with GUI
stuff].  In my book, GUI stands for "Graphics Used (by) Idiots".

If you want something that handles the indentations, color-coding, etc.,
there are various flavors of BBSEdit that run on the Mac which can be rigged
to provide it.  Again, this is all fluff and mirrors and will not
appreciably help a bad programmer, nor add value to the code of a good one.
If you are running in MacOSX under the BSD environment, there are various
sorts of Emacs toolsets which will work much the same way as BBSEdit.
 [Note -- you may have to run "fink" in order to get the X11 environment
running properly so that you can run Emacs in window mode].

More importantly, even now there are contemporary versions of Netscape which
exhibit "spline errors" when they encounter those ever-so-pretty indents and
spaces in your code, producing nasty white boxes here and there on your
screen.  To beat this, it is almost always essential to strip and compress
all the unnecessary white space from your entire JavaScript/HTML (or
whatever) code block before posting it to your server.

-- Dave Lovering