[Javascript] Passing an object and/or a form reference to a function

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Fri Jul 9 13:15:09 CDT 2004

At 10:28 AM 7/9/2004, dev at qroute.net wrote:
>How do you pass a form reference to a form validation function so that in
>that function body I don't have to spell the whole thing as
>
>function Validate()
>{
>aValue = window.document.formNameHere.ObjectNameHere.value
>}

The form property of an object is its parental form, therefore:

         <input onclick="DoSomething(this)" ...>

         function DoSomething(argControl)
         {
                 // get the control's containing form
                 var oForm = argControl.form;
         }
or:
         <input onclick="DoSomething(this.form)" ...>

         function DoSomething(argForm)
         {
                 // argForm is the containing form
         }