[Javascript] Positioning in IE

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:34:31 CDT 2004

The call: document.all
is never to be used inside a loop, it will sllow the script from few to
hundred and thousand times, depending on how complex the page is (the number
of doc objects contained) every time you call  document.all it iterates all
the objects. Than if you state get element by ID it scrolls again through
all the elements containing id, than, it has to compare if one of them yelds
true to give the permission to ecxecute, if after this you have given f.i.
pixelLeft than it has to do some math to decide where to put the element,
but if you instruct posLeft, there is no math it assumes zero at left and
simply adds the new value. Try some of variants you know that will move the
object from left to right pixel by pixel in some old computer and see for
your self.
I use integer +px string with posLeft or Right/\ Top when increasingly
possitioning the object.
If I recall correctly, when stating pixelLeft, the browser looks up previous
state than adds positive or negative value to the existing one. And this
means more processing. (but of course, with the P4 2.66 or 3.2 GHz you will
hardly notice the difference.)