[Javascript] Data Loading

Håkan Magnusson hakan at backbase.com
Mon Mar 8 08:47:34 CST 2004

JavaScript XMLHttp-requests do not require a certain type of server, as
a matter of fact it perfectly supports getting files from the local
filesystem, and the support is quite rock solid in both IE5+ and Mozilla
browsers. Since I've already been rambling about regular expressions I
might as well continue with that and say that this operation (if I
understand you correctly - you want to get this list from a remote
webserver and do something with the data right?) would be fairly easy to
implement.

As usual, I don't have the time right NOW to write the code for this,
but if you can wait I'll give it a shot in the coming days.

If you want to do it yourself, it's basically getting the file using
XMLHttp, extracting the table and then doing the split()ting Paul was
talking about. I wouldn't open a new window or tamper with innerHTML
though, instead I would match the body content from the rest of the file
through a regexp and work from there. The innerHTML property is more
than just a text representation of something, it's sort of a parser, and
the value found in innerHTML is not always what you are looking for or
what you would expect.

Regards,