[Javascript] Serious browser detection.

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 10:36:55 CST 2004

>I have my browser detection script, completely object based except for a
>few small issues. These include detecting what VERSION of MacOS the user is
>running, if using a Mac, and proper detection of Safari (currently
>detecting by looking at userAgent) and furthermore which Safari version is
>in use.
>
>Basically, I am wondering if anybody know of a good way to detect MacOS
>version (through any object/property, on all (major) browsers) and
>Safari/Safari versions (through object based detection instead of looking
>at userAgent).

The only serious browser detection is no browser detection at all.

I advise you to read http://www.quirksmode.org/js/support.html for reasons
not to detect browsers at all.

Parsing navigator.userAgent is the *only* reliable property for performing a
browser detect (though you never should perform one). Objects aren't going
to help you.  See http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html for the principle
of browser detection (which you shouldn never use).

My advice: forget about this project and spend your time on useful things.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.quirksmode.org/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/