[Javascript] Banner Ad scripts

Håkan Magnusson hakan at backbase.com
Wed Mar 17 10:16:50 CST 2004

Well, I would probably use one of the following approaches.

a) Display a random banner, but let those with higher percentage
(clients who pay more) have a bigger chance of being displayed. This
way, all your banners will in theory be shown and the more 'important'
ones will be shown more often.

b) Do it server side, and keep track of the current session and what ads
have already been displayed. This might provide a more 'stable' rotation
of the banners if you don't mind fiddling with server side stuff.

The problem with a) is of course that you wish to have the rotating
process predictable. But with a working formula to calculate the current
ad based on percentage et cetera, you can always explain to the
clients/advertisers that their ad has say a 9% chance of showing up
every time the page is loaded. Would this be sufficient?

Regards,