[Javascript] Suppressing mouse-over events

Matt Barton javascript at mattbarton.org
Wed Mar 24 05:58:18 CST 2004

Hi,

I'm coding for a system (compatibility with IE5.5+, other browsers are not
an issue) which uses the onMouseOver event of a graphic to popup a menu (the
menu appears in a popup object - as in window.createPopup()).

What I'm trying to do is suppress the onMouseOver event when the browser is
not the top-most window.  The situation my users are getting is that they'll
be using the app then alt-tab away to their email or some other application,
but if the menu-triggering graphic is still on the screen, the onMouseOver
event will still fire and display the menu *over the topmost application*.

I'm not convinced that there is a simple way to do this (and that's what I
told my boss!), but thought I'd be better off asking the list...

Any help greatly appreciated,

Matt