[Javascript] changing graphics in new window

Håkan Magnusson hakan at backbase.com
Fri Mar 26 08:28:42 CST 2004

Well, it is fairly standards compliant, if you measure it by where we
were four years ago and be a bit nice about it. Microsoft did however
take the decision not to upgrade Internet Explorer until the release of
Longhorn, making the current implementation of for example CSS very
limited, compared to what we "should" be able to do today.

Limitations or anomalities include box model control, flawed handling of
floating- and relatively positioned items, NO png support (promised by
Microsoft in '97) unless you use an HTC-file, in which case you still
can't use PNG for background images. Events are not handled correctly
(moving your mouse over elements positioned in a certain way without
specified width/heights will not trigger the event), there's a well
known bug that makes IE go into an (almost) infinite stall when you try
to load too many dynamic images at once (test case included in case
someone doubt this, run the example on a web server, not locally), poor
mime type support - the list can be made long.

This is of course "normal" bugs and lack of functionality for any
software that is not completely finished, the only abnormal thing about
it is that Microsoft is doing nothing to correct them.

Regards,