[Javascript] table collapse bug in IE6?

Paul Novitski paul at dandemutande.org
Fri Mar 26 16:19:39 CST 2004

Thanks for your suggestions, however I had earlier tried display:none and
found the problem of border ghosts remains.

Attached is a demonstration of the problem.  (Blush: this is an old
workbench file, not final production code, so please excuse all the wood
shavings, tools lying about, and old trials commented out in the mix.)

I imagine that this problem might not SHOW if I use fixed column widths to
prevent the cell borders from shifting horizontally as rows appear &
disappear.  However, a) I want to solve the problem if I can, not just work
around it, and b) I balk at pre-determining table column widths -- I'll do
it if I have to for a specific purpose, such as matching a table cell with
a contained image of fixed dimensions, but in general it feels like
intruding on functionality I ought to leave up to the browser so that I
don't have to try to anticipate future data fill needs.  The looser my
control on rendering niceties, the less I have to go back and tweak code as
conditions change.

Paul