[Javascript] table collapse bug in IE6?

Paul Novitski paul at dandemutande.org
Sun Mar 28 00:05:59 CST 2004

Dave,

At 12:44 PM 3/27/2004, you wrote:
>If you REALLY want to hide the cells, and not merely nuke/rebuild the rows,
>I'd suggest building into your routine a number of CSS attribute calls which
>set the border width to 0 on each of the affected cells/rows,

*Blush!*  That works perfectly; I must be overworked & sleep-deprived not
to have seen something so obvious.  Thanks!  You win the kewpie doll.

>making sure
>that you still preserve one top/bottom border to "join" the rows which
>remain undeleted above and below the one you're taking out.

I've given the table the CSS style "border-collapse: collapse" so I don't
have to worry about doubled border thicknesses between adjacent cells.

>Personally, nuking the rows makes sense in another way as well -- every
>screen refresh still exercises the "hidden" objects, taking longer than
>necessary to paint the window.  I've seen an appreciable speed up when I
>trash the unwanted rows, rebuilding them only when necessary.

In this case, it feels like 6:half-dozen.  It appears to take slightly
longer to rebuild the display table with selected rows from the hidden
table than it does to hide & unhide selected rows, which makes sense
(changing visibility being faster than adding branches to the DOM tree).

Thanks,
Paul