[Javascript] window.open() not working in onLoad() of Mozilla 1.5

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Wed May 5 19:03:01 CDT 2004

Pop-up ads are the electronic equivalent of billboards along the road:
annoying, ubiquitous, and ineffective by virtue of their very number and
inescapability (is that a word?).  The human brain has a wonderful ability
to tune out persistant background noise, however unpleasant.  I recall a few
years ago a company whose business plan called for them to paint the skies
above metropolitan areas with laser-drawn ads on the bottom of the inversion
layer.  The only reason it got shot down was because the Federal
Transportation folks thought that there was some risk of blinding pilots
passing through them -- not because the sky was the last unspoiled view
available to most city dwellers.

-- Dave Lovering

P.S.:  I hope the clown who thought of using window.open() calls for pop-up
ads and the idiot that designed the concept of billboards have adjacent
cells in the hot-place, although their demonstrated lack of aesthetic
sensitivity probably will prevent them from realizing the true horror of
their situation.