[Javascript] Checkbox challenge

Shawn Milo milo at linuxmail.org
Sat May 8 13:59:09 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Dougherty" <mdougherty at pbp.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 18:54:21 -0400
To: "[JavaScript List]" <javascript at LaTech.edu>
Subject: Re: [Javascript] Checkbox challenge

> Not specific to this example, but where does the developer draw the line at abstraction &
> generalization for future reuse vs. "Get it done today"?

<snip>

You are right.  But there are several factors at play here:

You want to be able to re-use the code without having to
re-write half of it.  Getting it working without keeping
this in mind just means that the next time will probably
have to be a one-off, also.  That said, for smaller scripts
like this, maybe that's okay, depending upon the size of your
programming team and how often you are actually called upon
to write new code.

We have a group of intelligent people here, who are given this
code with the opportunity to examine it from various perspectives
and with different levels of experience.  I'm sure plenty of
"good enough" scripts are given suggestions by others in order to
be helpful, and educate the coder so that their future scripts
may be more concise.  Besides, in a group like this, who can
resist showing off their skills in order to gain recognition?
I'm sure that most of the motivation to participate in a list
like this is the desire to help others, but there's a little
gratification to be had by showing off, as well.  :o)

Shawn