[Javascript] Reset the value of a SET of fields

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Wed May 19 20:10:00 CDT 2004

David,

Your HTML:

><input type=first_name_1 size=10>

mis-uses the type attribute.  It would more properly be:

         <input type="text" name="first_name_1" size="10" />

(I suggest further that future-looking markup puts all attributes in quotes
and terminates uncloseable tags with /> a la XHTML.)

Next, if this were my page I would make the task of referring to each group
of fields easier by containing each group, like:

                 <input type="text" name="first_name_1" size="10" />
                 <input type="text" name="last_name_1" size="10" />
                 <input type="text" name="email_1" size="10" />

That allows your clear function to work like this:

function clear_row(num)
{
         // point to the group container
         var oGroup = document.getElementById("group" + num)

         // get an array of all its children
         var aFields = oGroup.getElementByTagName("INPUT")
// or:
         var aFields = oGroup.childNodes

         // clear each one
         for (var iField=0; iField < aFields.length; iField++)
         {
                 aFields[iField].value = ""

Cheers,
Paul