[Javascript] OT: W3C

Shawn Milo milo at linuxmail.org
Wed May 26 09:04:36 CDT 2004

Mike Dougherty wrote:

Why?

Because Hakan wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:47:55 +0000
  Hakan Magnusson <hakan at backbase.com> wrote:
>You should use double quotes around HTML attributes, but apart from that it looks fine.
>
>Regards,

The reason for using double quotes around HTML attributes is that the
W3C (http://www.w3.org/), the standards body which defines HTML, CSS, XHTML, etc.,
has made that the standard.

Sloppy HTML, such as using single quotes or no quotes around attributes may work,
but they are not "correct", like poor grammar.  At the moment, most major browsers
accomodate these errors, but the way of web content is increasingly going toward
different platforms, such as handheld computers and phones, braille displays for the
blind, and other non-PC browsers.  These browsers, sometimes included in a device
with an embedded OS and software, will not be able to handle all of the variations
of bad HTML out there.  That is part of the impetus for XHTML, which is really just
HTML, but with stricter syntax enforcement.

Check out the W3C's site for more info, or you can e-mail me privately.  I find
coding to XHTML standards to be much more of a benefit than a hinderance.

Shawn