[Javascript] attach actions to all objects in a form?

Roger Roelofs rer at datacompusa.com
Wed May 26 13:12:09 CDT 2004

Shawn,

On May 26, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Shawn Milo wrote:

> Is there a way to write an onclick function, or something
> similar, so that it applies to all objects on a form?

Yes,

I'm using code that does this to provide a hover effect on long tables
to highlight the line the user has pointed at.  The code goes something
like this...

///  setup
var el = document.getElementById("theContainer");
if (el) {
	if( el.addEventListener ) {
		el.addEventListener("click", clickableTableRowClick, false);
	} else {
		if(el.attachEvent) {
			el.attachEvent("onclick", clickableTableRowClick);
		} else {
			el.onclick = clickableTableRowClick;

// callback routine
function clickableTableRowClick(evt) {
	var targ, oldRow;
     if (!evt) evt = window.event;
     if (evt.target) targ = evt.target;
     else if (evt.srcElement) targ = evt.srcElement;
do what you want with the target element