[Javascript] Slightly OT: Auto re-fill of form elements on browser Back button.

Hakan M (Backbase) hakan at backbase.com
Wed Oct 6 07:44:47 CDT 2004

Greetings.

As most of you probably experienced at one point or another, browsers
tend to keep the filled in values of form elements if you submit the
form and then hit the Back-button to go back to the form again. This
might be convenient in most cases, but I need to be able to control
this, and reset the values to their default values whenever the form is
"reloaded" in any way.

My questions is; Do anybody know of the exact criteria for this
auto-refill to happen? Is it only when you go back or is it simply a
question of caching on the browsers behalf?

Turning the feature off through the browser or sending HTTP-headers to
prevent caching is not really an option, I'm afraid.

Thankful for any suggestions.

Regards,