[Javascript] Inserting a spacer row

Steve Clason stevec at topdogstrategy.com
Fri Apr 8 10:57:50 CDT 2005

Hello,

I have a script that works in Firefox but fails in Internet Explorer and
Safari and would appreciate some help.

As part of a CMS for fitness company, we've made weekly exercise
schedules that instructors without great html skills will be
maintaining. To make their lives easier, we wanted to insert a row with
a red line above any table row that contained a day of the week (except
Monday).

Here's the script:

function makeSpacer()
   {
   var schedule = document.getElementById("schedule");
   var cell = schedule.getElementsByTagName("td");
   for (var i=0; i<cell.length; i++)
     {
       if (cell[i].innerHTML == ("Tuesday") ||
       cell[i].innerHTML == ("Wednesday") ||
       cell[i].innerHTML == ("Thursday") ||
       cell[i].innerHTML == ("Friday") ||
       cell[i].innerHTML == ("Saturday") ||
       cell[i].innerHTML == ("Sunday"))
       {
         row = cell[i].parentNode;
         newRow =
row.parentNode.insertBefore(document.createElement('tr'), row);
         newCell = newRow.insertCell(0);
         newCell.setAttribute("colspan", 5);
         newCell.setAttribute("class", "spacer");
         newCell.innerHTML = "&nbsp;";
     i++;

And the relevant CSS:

.spacer{
   height: 2px;
   background-image: url("/images/red1x2.gif");
   background-repeat: repeat-x;
   background-position: bottom;
   }

I've also tried the CSS with borders and background colors with the same
results.

In Firefox I get a new row above the rows containing the days of the
week. In Safari I get a red line only above the cell containing the day
of the week, in Internet Explorer I get just the new row, no red line.

Anyone have any suggestions? You can see a draft page at (watch the wrap):

http://dev1.arieldesign.com/index.cfm?objectid=52AE2B25-D612-00A6-AA2FD44A87E48724

Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
Steve Clason