[Javascript] how to make portable

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Wed Apr 20 13:42:39 CDT 2005

shellExecute is a Microsoft-only scripting solution, which means any
scripts you write will not be portable, because computers not running
windows will not understand that command, nor will non-IE browsers
(Firefox, Opera, Netscape, etc.) even on Windows. For it to work on
win98, you need to include some other files, and you can read about that
more on Microsoft's Developer's Network[1]. If the link doesn't work
just search for shellExecute in Google.

  [1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shellexecute.asp

Personally, I think it's good practice to write standard javascript and
DOM, with a few tweaks to get IE in line. Plus, using a browser to
execute shell commands fires off major security flags, so unless you're
planning on using this for an in-house app, you might get a lot of
complaints. Perhaps the list could be more helpful if you described what
you were trying to do.
--

Ryan Cannon
Instructional Technology