[Javascript] XMLHttpRequest help (yeah, yeah, I know)

Mike Stickel mike at screenflicker.com
Tue Aug 2 14:43:59 CDT 2005

Good day all,

I'm fairly new to Javascript but was hoping at least someone could
point me in the right direction. I'd like to try and set up a random
quote box on a client's site using Javascript (typepad doesn't allow
PHP otherwise I'd be using that). After some thought I was
considering using XMLHttpRequest to call an XML file with the list of
quotes.

The quote box would be limited to showing one quote at a time but
there would be links to show another quote. I guess my first question
would be, is this possible?

Searching through the web-o-sphere I've seen many tutorials on
XMLHttpRequest and looked through a good many of them. Trying to
apply their logic and examples to this particular case have gotten me
thoroughly confused though. Maybe what would help is if a kind soul
could write out, in plain english, the flow of how the js should work
then I can at least take a stab at writing the functions. You know
the old adage, learn by doing and all that.

Thanks for your time,

Mike Stickel
Screenflicker Developments
www.screenflicker.com