[Javascript] onload focus without placing inside body tags

Massimo Foti massimo at amila.ch
Wed Aug 3 10:31:47 CDT 2005

> I was out on the web yesterday and  I came across some code that would put
> focus in the first field of my form without using the body tag and I
cannot
> find that site now.  Anyone know how to do this?

// Scan the current document, looking for text fields inside forms
function tmt_placeFocus(){
 var formNode = document.getElementsByTagName("form")[0];
 if(formNode){
  var inputNodes = formNode.getElementsByTagName("input");
  tmt_focusFirst(inputNodes);

// Put focus and cursor inside the first field of a node list
function tmt_focusFirst(nodelist){
 for(var i=0; i<nodelist.length; i++){
  var fieldType = nodelist[i].getAttribute("type").toLowerCase();
  if((fieldType == "text") || (fieldType == "password")){
   nodelist[i].focus();
   nodelist[i].select();
   break;

window.onload = tmt_placeFocus;

The code above will place focus on the first text/password field contained
inside the first form of the current document.
Hope it could help

Massimo Foti
Tools for ColdFusion and Dreamweaver developers:
http://www.massimocorner.com