[Javascript] IE verses the option element onclick event

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Sat Dec 31 08:37:32 CST 2005

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I just ran into this interesting non-feature of IE.  There is no onclick
> event for an <option /> ( it looks like IE 6 and older ).

And one more post to my own.  Seems my first post got hung and didn't
make it through until yesterday.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions.  My solution ( as most suggested
) was to use an onchange in the <select />.

There was several other layers of complexity but this got me going in
the right direction.  Not mentioned in my first post was there are two
radio buttons and all three: the select, and both radio buttons; are
mutually exclusive.  Only an option, radio_1, or radio_2 can be selected
at once.
    This is on a test/development server right now and even when it goes
live access is for customers only so I can't show it off.  :-(
    I will try to put a mockup of it in a publicly accessable area in
case other novices need the same functionality and/or the experts can
rip into it and cleanup the code.

Again thanks,
Rod