[Javascript] OT: podcasting

Shawn Milo ShawnMilo at runbox.com
Thu Jan 6 09:53:41 CST 2005

Since Matt was kind enough to inquire:

Podcasting is the newest cool internet phenomenon. It's been around for
around six months (maybe a bit longer, but that's when I think it started
to get big). Basically, people just record a radio program on their computer,
convert it to mp3, and make it available via an RSS feed. Then anyone
with an aggregator, such as iPodder (ipodder.org, available for Linux, Mac,
and Windows) can subscribe to any podcast, and have it delivered automatically
whenever a new episode comes out.

For iPod users, it's even sweeter: iPodder automatically delivers the podcasts
to iTunes, so you get everything when you plug in your iPod.

Podcasts are on all kinds of topics: Movie reviews, audio blogs, chit-chat,
sex, news, beer and wine, education and much more. They come out
anywhere from daily to whenever they get around to doing a show.
It's all free, and there are no FCC regulations to deal with.

The most commonly credited 'fathers of podcasting' are Adam Curry and Dave Winer.
They are both famous in their own right -- Adam as a TV personality and Dave as
a great techie.

If you decide to check it out, I recommend getting started with
Adam Curry's "The Daily Source Code[1]," because he talks a lot
about podcasting, and promotes the podcasts of others.

Other highly notable podcasts are "The Dawn and Drew Show*[2]" and
Dave Winer's "Morning Coffee Notes." See PodCast Alley[3] for a
comprehensive list of podcasts.

The low cost of entry, and fun of it all have made it a very popular
pastime, so I wondered if some of you had traded in your curly-braces
for a microphone.  :o) I myself am planning to start my MiloCast some
time in the coming weeks, and will be putting out an audio version
of Garrett Birkel revision[4] of the Neal Stephenson essay
"In the Beginning was the Command Line" within a week or so.

Shawn

*Not appropriate for playing at your place of employment.

[1] http://dailysourcecode.com/
[2] http://dawnanddrew.com/
[3] http://podcastalley.com/
[4] http://home.earthlink.net/~android606/commandline/index.html