[Javascript] How to make JavaScript execute another document's URL "onclick"?

Ron Wingfield rtwingfield at archaxis.net
Wed Jan 12 16:54:10 CST 2005

I've implemented the following popup menu via the Perl CGI:

  $cgi-> popup_menu
  (
          -name=>'ap_name',
          -values=>\@ap_names,
          -labels=>\%ap_labels,
          -size=>'8',
          -onclick=>"set_apx( )",
          -language=>"javascript"
  ),

This is the set_apx( ) function that executes with the "onclick" action :

  qq(<script language="javascript"><!--
          function set_apx( ) {
                  var ap_name;
                  ap_name=apps_menu['ap_name'].value;
                  alert(ap_name); // Temp!  display the ap_name.
  //              document.apps_menu.action=apps_menu['ap_name'].value;
  //              document.apps_menu.action=ap_name;
                  ap_name.submit( );
          }
  // --></script>),

Either of the two commented-out lines (as I understand and expected) should accomplish the same result with JavaScript executing, branching, or otherwise transfering (. . .whatever) to the URL; however, nothing (other than the alert) appears to happen when a row is clicked.  When a popup menu row is clicked, with the submit function call enabled (as shown above), MS/IE returns the following message (I guess I understand this because from what I've read, submit( ) is associated with a document's internal forms, rather than an external URL ?):

             Error:  Object doesn't support this property or method.

The value of the variable, ap_name, is correct (per the alert display).  This application name is the URL that I want to execute (publish, . . .whatever).  I have tried so many things to start the URL.  What should I be thinking or reading?

Should I expect the JavaScript instruction, document.apps_menu.action=ap_name; , to branch to another URL?  I guess I need to see an example.

OTTF,
Ron Wingfield

FreeBSD 4.8  --  Apache http 2.0.28 -- MySQL client/server 4.1.7
Perl 5.8.5 -- p5-DBD-mysql-2.9004 driver -- p5-DBI-1.46