[Javascript] How not to use XPath

Jursa, Jan (init) Jan.Jursa at init.de
Tue Jul 5 07:21:38 CDT 2005

Hi,

so far i got along with not using XPath.
But nowadays with Ajax and Greasemonkey and all that cool stuff going
on, I fear I will have to dive into that horrible syntax.

On the other hand, regarding this example...

var images = document.getElementsByTagName("img");
for (i = 0; i < images.length; i++) {
	var n = imagesi; var src = n.getAttribute("src");
	if ((src) && (src.indexOf("threadmap_inactive.gif") > 0)) {
	//do stuff here

which could become this in XPath (supposedly):

//img[contains(@src, 'threadmap_inactive.gif')]

(taken from:
http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/BLOG-20050420?OpenDocument)

...i must admit it *is* much shorter...  :-(

what are your experiences with XPath?

Cheers,
Jan