[Javascript] Accessing form name

Schalk schalk at volume4.com
Mon Nov 21 06:59:42 CST 2005

diego nunes wrote:

>On 21/11/05, Schalk <schalk at volume4.com> wrote:
>

>>What is the best way to obtain a form name if it is not possible to pass
>>it into the script as such: formFunction(this);
>>

>    You want the "name", having the instance of the form, or wanna get
>the instance, based onde the "name"?
>
>  1) instance named "formInstance":
> alert(formInstance.name);
>
>  2) form named "formanswer":
>  alert(document.forms['formanswer']);
>     or, better, if you have an unique ID:
>  alert(document.getElementById('formanswer'));
>
>  Amplexos.

Thanks Amplexos.

But here is my problem:
I want to create a simple generic reset function for forms within
Joomla. Now, I do not know beforehand what the form name or id is and
therefore wanted to determine this with JavaScript. Here is what I have
so far:

function resetForm() {
   var theForm = document.getElementsByTagName('form');
   var formName = theForm.name;
   alert(formName);

   document.formName.reset();
}

This does get the form but name is returned as undefined. Where am I
going wrong or is there a simpler/better way to do this? Thank you.

--
Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling