[Javascript] looping through nodeList

Anthony Ettinger apwebdesign at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 15:34:57 CDT 2005

--- Paul Novitski <paul at novitskisoftware.com> wrote:

> At 12:55 PM 10/18/2005, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> >window.onload=Name();
> >
> >Needs to be without the ()'s:
> >
> >window.onload=Name;
> >
> >..which makes sense, since you wouldn't be passing
> >parameters from anywhere on the initial routine
> call.
>

> The way I think of this:
>
>          window.onload = DoSomething;
>
> is that the entire text of the function
> DoSomething() is copied to
> the window.onload "variable."  If you then execute:
>
>          alert(window.onload);
>
> you'll see the DoSomething() function script there
> in its entirety.
>
> One interesting ramification of this (which I've
> played with in other
> languages but never in javascript) is the
> feasibility of parsing and
> modifying function code stored in a variable.  For
> example, a
> function can edit a copy of itself and then call
> this revised form of
> itself.  Nasty-fun wrinkle on recursion!  Those
> kinds of games can
> produce program code that's incredibly difficult to
> maintain, but
> it's fun to play with nonetheless.

Haa...nice.

Any input on this? I basically am rewriting mailto:,
removing the non-working @.

accessible, but doesn't work unless user changes the @
manually. I've seen the html entity solution, but
seems rather easy to defeat to me. Would only have to
convert entities back into symbols.

ie - using &#46; and &#64;

Anthony Ettinger
ph: (408) 656-2473