[Javascript] looping through nodeList

Anthony Ettinger apwebdesign at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 16:20:03 CDT 2005

--- Paul Novitski <paul at novitskisoftware.com> wrote:

> At 01:34 PM 10/18/2005, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> >Any input on this? I basically am rewriting
> mailto:,
> >removing the non-working @.
>
> Please clarify what you mean by "removing the
> non-working @."
>
> If your page downloads with email addresses intact,
> and then your
> javascript routine encrypts them on page load,
> please realize that
> this won't trick robots who will see the page in its
> pre-javascript form.
>
> Usually what people do to obfuscate email addresses
> on web pages is
> to store the address on the page in some cryptic
> form, then use
> javascript to assemble a properly-formed mailto:
> link on page-load or
> at the moment the user clicks or keys down on it.

Yes. The html entities got converted in the email but
the &-#64-; and &-#46-; for the @ and "."

I have foo--at--bar.org. And use js to rewrite them
when the page loads. It's not accessible, because if
no js, then the email client loads with the
"foo--at--bar.org" version. I see lots of examples of
using html entities to construct the email, but i
would think the spammers have simply converted
entities back to symbols by now in their scripts when
the see "&(.*?);" in the "mailto" string. Whereas
getting througha  javascript layer would be more
difficult? (maybe not).

Anthony Ettinger
ph: (408) 656-2473
web: http://www.apwebdesign.com