[Javascript] Controling a SELECT from a child window

David Stoltz Dstoltz at SHH.ORG
Wed Sep 21 08:05:04 CDT 2005

You freakin ROCK!!! I bow down to the great NICK FITZSIMONS of the
javascript world!

Man, I tried everything - but your code worked beautifully!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: javascript-bounces at LaTech.edu
[mailto:javascript-bounces at LaTech.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Fitzsimons
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:52 AM
To: [JavaScript List]
Subject: RE: [Javascript] Controling a SELECT from a child window

> Actually - everything works now except ADDING an option to the select
> box (on the parent page)...the following fails:

<SNIP />

> Perhaps you cannot add an item to a select box on a parent window?

As you surmise, it's probably something to do with the fact that you're
creating the option element in one window and trying to add it to the
document in another - this is not allowed under the DOM standard.

Try:

var newOptionText = window.opener.document.createTextNode("Your text");
var newOption = window.opener.document.createElement("option");
newOption.appendChild(newOptionText);
newOption.setAttribute("value", Your value");
window.opener.document.form1.mylist.appendChild(newOption);

which uses the opener window's document to create the text node, and
should therefore be OK. It's also going to work cross-browser (IE,
Mozilla Firefox, Opera and any other browser that supports the DOM),
whereas I think I'm correct in saying that new Option() is a
non-standard Internet-Explorer-only technique.

(BTW, I haven't tested the above code, but barring typing mistakes, it
should work :-)

HTH,

Nick.
--