[Javascript] Order of script-processing

Glenn E. Lanier, II glenn_lanier at netzero.net
Mon Sep 26 07:49:54 CDT 2005

From: SkyScanner
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 4:31 AM

From: "Peter-Paul Koch" < <mailto:pp.koch at gmail.com> pp.koch at gmail.com>
> Most browsers (except Opera) change the visible display of the page
> only when all scripts have exited completely. Solution: use a timeout:

function show()
{
  gif.src = 'pleasewait.gif'; // or whatever
  setTimeout('slow_routine()',10);
}

> Now the script exits after the gif has been set and the browsers show
> it. Then the slow routine kicks in. Result: user sees Please Wait.

Hi - I got it working after a bit of experimentation. I found that it would only
work properly if I placed a timeout around the slow routine *and* the hide
routine.

showGif('icon_5');
setTimeout("slowRoutine()",10);
setTimeout("hideGif('icon_5')",10);