Fw: [Javascript] Fw: hide other divs

Michael Borchers list at tridemail.de
Wed Apr 12 09:29:40 CDT 2006

>> Yes, I believe your script is failing [in Firefox] because you're
>> executing a string method on a null object for the first div that doesn't
>> have an id.  You can fix this simply by adding a test for its existence
>> to the beginning of your Boolean logic:
>>
>> divElementsId = divElements[i].getAttribute("id");
>>
>>         if (divElementsId
>>             && divElementsId.substring(0,6) == mySubstring
>>             && divElementsId != myDiv
>>         )

 ok, i splitted the if cases for further handling in the function,
 but it should still work the way you supposed it, or?

  divElementsId = divElements[i].getAttribute("id");

        if(divElementsId && divElementsId.substring(0,6) == mySubstring)
  {

 IE still works fine but FF again breaks off:(

The reason why you don't need getAttribute is simple the id attribute is an
"built in" attribute that mean that all browser will recognise
mydiv.attribute if you create a custom attribute like eg: <div order="1"> at
this point you need getAttribute to pick it up in all browser simply because
some browser won't recognise mydiv.order as an attribute.
<

so i should not use an own attribute?! sorry, didn't wuite get the
solution:/