[Javascript] Modern usage

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Apr 19 12:17:15 CDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:44:45AM -0700, Paul Novitski wrote:
> At 07:47 AM 4/19/2006, Bill Moseley wrote:
> For details on JavaScript support across browsers I recommend
> Peter-Paul Koch's http://www.quirksmode.org/

Yes, I do spend a lot of time there.

> >The page also is using ypSlideoutMenu from 2001.  Anyone familiar
> >with this?  Would you consider it acceptable javascript?
> >
> >http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/ypslideoutmenus/ypSlideOutMenus/ypSlideOutMenus.js?rev=1.2&view=auto
> >
> >http://ypslideoutmenus.sourceforge.net/demo/index.html
>
> I don't think it makes the grade:

That was my take on this.

A client game me a page to implement that the designer had given
them.  I looked at it and it seemed like a very old way of doing
things.  They use javascript image swaps to change arrow images on
menus (I'd use css background images).  And there's all that testing
of what seems like very old features.

I want to bring it up to current standards, but I do worry about not
dealing with old browsers well enough.  But, I suspect that their use
of old methods was not for that reason, rather just done by someone
that's not staying current in their own work.

> - The only thing this script provides that isn't possible using CSS
> alone is the sliding effect, which for me is too minor a benefit to
> justify its downsides.

I also agree.  But even with css-based menus you still need
javascript for IE, right?  Well, at least when using li:hover to
trigger the menus.

> Mind you, three or four years ago I loved writing scripts like
> this.  Having had my consciousness raised in the areas of markup
> semantics and accessibility I can look back fondly but I can't go back.

Yep.  It's painful to look at that old stuff now. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org