[Javascript] Check boxs and table row back ground colors

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Tue Apr 25 10:06:32 CDT 2006

If you're going to make a bold statement about strict validation, I will one-up that with the best
practice suggestion to not register javascript inline either.  Also, you probably want to make the
method fire a function rather than directly manipulating object properties.  Then that function
should probably only alter the className property.

maybe something like this:
HTML: <input ... onMethod="highlightrow( this );" caveat="inline example easier to type up">

Javascript:
function highlightrow( obj ){
   loTD = obj.parentNode; /* reference the TD containing the element that fired the method */
   loTR = loTD.parentNode; /* reference the TR */
   if(obj.checked){
     loTR.className += " highlighted"; /* add the 'highlighted' class to this element */
     }
   else {
     loTR.className = loTR.className.replace(/\shighlighted/g,""); /* remove the class */

CSS:
tr { background-color: white; }
tr.highlighted { background-color: not-white; }

Note:  that regexp is probably not 100% right (sorry)