[Javascript] Call an external program?

Laurent Muchacho elmuchacho at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:56:51 CDT 2006

Hi Miles,

I think you did get a pretty clear idea that the browser will try not to let
you do something like this.
However there is a kind of way around but it need to be agree by the user.
When you click on  a link that contain a file format not supported by the
browser it will open a window that let you download the file onto your
machine, if your machine does have a program associated with this extension
he will then give you 2 choice in this box you will either be offer the
possibility to download or to open it with an associated program.

An examples can viewed on this page the link : KML Tutorial
file<http://www.keyhole.com/kml/google_earth_tutorial_files.kml>in the
first paragraph will open google earth if you have the software
install on you machine.
http://www.keyhole.com/kml/kml_tut.html

Second example is a site used by a ""friend"" on the page below you have a
list of check box associated with a bit torrent download when you check one
this box and click download at the bottom of the page it will then offer you
the possibility to open the file with a p2p client program installed on you
machine if you have one
http://tvunderground.org.ru/index.php?show=episodes&id=2

Open the second examples at your own risk and I will almost recommend that
you don't do it with IE or disable Javascript. However the risk taken will
be worth it because they are using javascript to launch the download once
you click the download button and I think this is what you are looking for.

Now if the program you want to open support a particular file extension you
could use this trick to present the user with an easy way to access the
program if it is install.

I hope this help you in your development, happy programming

Laurent