[Javascript] Code optimization

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Mon Aug 7 18:07:08 CDT 2006

At 03:52 PM 8/7/2006, Terry Riegel wrote:
>I appreciate your help and the general guidelines you are presenting.
>I am not trying to ignore them or disregard your advise. I am just
>not at that level in my Javascript programming. Actually moving my
>Javascript out of my HTML was part of my original question. I thought
>I would simplify my question as an aid to my learning, however the
>only solution I received was one I had already found via google. That
>being parentNode. However this returns UNDEFINED. Here is the exact
>code I am referring to. If you would like the larger context, I am
>building a web based file manager, and my HTML is being
>programmatically generated.
>

>Test otherstuff
>
>I would be very interested in how to convert the above snip to not
>use inline scripting. btw. I prefer inline scripting when testing as
>I dont have to worry about external files being cached and wondering
>why my code changes are not working. However once I get things
>working I dont mind moving everything to an external library.

Hi Terry,

Please don't try to include HTML and active script in your listserve
posting.  Eudora gives me an incomplete rendering with scripting
disabled -- as I would expect of an email client that protects its
users from attack.

Instead, please post a page online and give us the URL so we can see
your markup and script in situ.

Once I see your page, I'll probably be able to make a specific
scripting recommendation.

You may feel modest about your javascript abiities at this time, but
frankly I think inserting bits of javascript inline into HTML tags is
harder and much more complicated than separating script from markup.

Warm regards,
Paul