[Javascript] click in table 1 rows the second table change ??

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Fri Aug 11 09:40:58 CDT 2006

At 09:42 PM 8/10/2006, Majid L wrote:
>I am trying to have in my jsp page two tables :
>
>  First table : Select the package  :
>  row1
>  row2
>  row3
>  row10
>
>  each time the user select a row, the rows in the second table change
>:
>  for example if the user click in row2 the second table will be like
>this :
>
>  Second Table : Select the page to print :
>  row2Page1
>  row2Page2
>  row2Page6

There are several ways to do this, including:

Client-side solutions:

- Download the page with all the possible secondary tables already
marked up, but hide all but one secondary table using CSS.  When the
user clicks on a row in the first table, hide the current second
table and display the next second table.

- Download the page with just two tables, but all the possible
secondary table information in javascript arrays.  When the user
clicks on the first table, replace the cell data in the second table
from the corresponding array.

Server-side solutions:

- Make the cells in your first table hyperlinks.  When you click on
one, the page reloads with the second table populated with the
correct data.  This is a server-side solution.

- When you click on the first table, use the JavaScript
XMLHttpRequest to download the new contents of the second table and
replace the cell contents.

What you are doing with tables, many people accomplish using
lists.  You can find many examples of this on the internet, e.g. if
you google "javascript dynamic lists".  Here's one:

Complex Dynamic Lists: Your Order Please
by Christian Heilmann
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/complexdynamiclists/

Regards,
Paul