Charset (Was: [Javascript] JS Marquee - Advanced!)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Aug 13 14:01:50 CDT 2006

On Aug 13, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Troy III Ajnej wrote:

> Try, view, source of the same document or
> http://validator.w3.org
> and see if you can find the charset meta anywhere.
> Since you will not... -there isn't one!

I might be missing the point here, but the lack of a charset in the
source doesn't mean the document has no stated charset.  If you look
at the headers for that document, you'll see the charset is stated
there:

Before the document is sent, which is ideal if you have such control
over headers, but not everyone does, hence the <meta> option.

> The charset encoding depends on your choice while first naming and
> saving your
> document from your chosen editor, not on your meta description.
> The browser might take you for your word and try to read/render the
> document
> according to your wrong description. But most browsers are smart
> and the first
> encountered mismatch they fallback to auto-detection and re-read
> the content using
> the correct encoding/decoding scheme.

Potential discrepancy between the actual and stated charset is a not
a good reason to avoid stating a charset, rather it's a good reason
to take care to state the correct, actual charset.  User agents can't
be assumed to reliably auto-detect.  Not only do some not even try,
but those that do can't possibly auto-detect everything due to
overlapping code ranges.  Auto-detection is an imperfect guessing
game, which I assume is what Rasmus was saying.  That he conflated
stated and actual charset doesn't make it any less important to
explicitly state charset.

Peace,
Scott