[Javascript] Re: Charset (sort-of OFF_TOPIC for js)

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Aug 14 09:47:51 CDT 2006

At 9:14 AM -0500 8/14/06, Scott Reynen wrote:
>On Aug 14, 2006, at 8:39 AM, tedd wrote:
>
>>My IDE does not give a clear (at least to me) indication of what
>>encoding is being used to save documents. I now may be faced with
>>re-saving thousands of documents -- arrggg.
>
>That may be an entirely pointless exercise, depending on your
>documents.  If they are all ASCII text, they are already UTF-8, as
>UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII.  So saving ASCII documents with UTF-8
>encoding shouldn't change the bits at all.  Also, it's not likely to
>have any effect on the Content-type headers sent by your server,
>because those aren't generally determined by examining the documents
>themselves.  So if you're not actually having a problem, I wouldn't
>recommend trying to fix it.
>
>Peace,
>Scott

Scott:

Thanks -- I was hoping for that. I suspected that UFT-8 permitted
legacy for ASCII -- after all, it was here first.

It's sometimes frustrating trying to get a correct answer to some
very basic questions -- especially when you have experts saying
totally opposite things.

After all, this is similar to designing a web page that looks great
to you via your OS and browser. But when someone on another platform
looks at your site, it's toast.

So, how could you detect a problem like this anyway?

Suggestions?

tedd
--
-------