Charset (Was: RE: [Javascript] JS Marquee - Advanced!

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Aug 14 10:29:55 CDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 9:34 AM, tedd wrote:

> So using a meta tag for encoding is a bad thing?

It's a compromise.  HTTP headers are ideal, but they're not always
possible.

On Aug 13, 2006, at 8:43 PM, Troy III Ajnej wrote:

> To cut the story short please visit:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#doc-char-set

Specifically, the section titled "5.2.2 Specifying the character
encoding"

See also:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

> All I'm trying to do here is to sort-out *what* should be done and
> *where* it should be done (i.e., document encoding, meta-tag, HTTP
> headers, carrier pigeon, or what combination thereof).
>
> I would like to think that this very basic thing shouldn't be this
> elusive.

It's not elusive.  Read the specs.  They are quite clear about what
should be done and where it should be done.  What may be eluding you
is the actual problem you're having, I suspect because you're not
actually having a problem.  It's much easier to find solutions for
problems after they exist.

> So, how could you detect a problem like this anyway?

If browsers can't display your documents as you intended, you have a
problem.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Peace,
Scott