[Javascript] Re: Charset (sort-of OFF_TOPIC for js)

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Aug 14 10:32:58 CDT 2006

At 7:08 AM -0700 8/14/06, Bill Moseley wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:39:16AM -0400, tedd wrote:
>>  However, the whole situation seems a bit redundant, doesn't it? You
>>  have to both save your document in the right charset encoding AND
>>  then again restate the charset encoding in the document. Why twice?
>
>Twice?
>
>>  Is it that some browsers can detect the encoding and others can't?
>
>What should display for a byte with a value of 192?  You have to tell
>the browser how to translate the string of bytes into characters --
>and that's what the charset setting does.

Bill:

Okay, assuming your value is HEX, the code point 0192 is Latin
Capital Letter A with grave.

UTF-8 will translate that easily enough, next code point? (Rhetorical question)

The point is that I  (perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here) don't
know of any characters in the Unicode dB that can't be shown by UTF-8
-- so what's the point of other charset's? Are they for legacy
concerns?

And, as I've asked before, does any of this affect javascript? Will
having the wrong charset cause js to fail in some way?

Thanks.

tedd

--
-------