[Javascript] Re: Charset (sort-of OFF_TOPIC for js)

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Tue Aug 15 07:16:25 CDT 2006

At 6:43 PM -0400 8/14/06, John Warner wrote:
>In the 'original;' PC's IBM gave us an extended ASCII set (chars above
>127) that for years could be counted on as standard. Alas, Windows came
>along and all that went away (along with trying to make computers work
>for non-westerners). For basic ASCII codes see
>http://www.lookuptables.com/  of no real use for this discussion, but an
>interesting look back.
>
>John Warner

John et al:

Even though the term "Extended ASCII" or "High ASCII" has been widely
distributed, it's still a misnomer -- ASCII doesn't extend ANY
further than 7F HEX (127 DEC). There is no "Extended ASCII".

However, the range of 127 to 255 has produced some interesting
characters depending upon which OS your using.

For example, Mac owners can still use the key combination of
shift-option-k and produce the Apple logo, which has been allocated
for Mac's somewhere in the 127-255 range -- I forget which specific
number it is, but it's an illegal code point for IDNS (I know I tried
to get it when multilingual characters were first released on 12 Apr
2001). However, you won't (not surprisingly) find that character on a
Windows keyboard. :-)  And, that's the point of standardization.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------