[Javascript] Background script

Peter Lauri lists at dwsasia.com
Mon Aug 28 13:22:58 CDT 2006

Best group members,

I have a site where I have an internal message system. With this I want to
add functionality so that when a user have a new message, an alert box will
show up with that information.

What the script actually would do is to every minute connect execute a
script that use AJAX to retrieve the number of unread messages, and then
alert if it is more then the last time.

I want to have a script that does not effect other scripts on the site.

Is it as simple as just setting a timer function that triggers my function?
Or is it any drawbacks with doing that? Is other scripts available during
this time?

Best regards,

Peter Lauri