[Javascript] Show a progress bar while waiting for a download to begin?

Steve Clay sclay at ufl.edu
Fri Jun 9 10:05:45 CDT 2006

moving off-topic...

Friday, June 9, 2006, 10:31:03 AM, Frank Arensmeier wrote:
> 3) The PHP script will send a application/octet stream header
> 4) The script outputs the PDF document.
> 5) The script sends a redirect header to the referring page (= the
> download page)

I've watched the HTTP interaction in Fiddler Tool in IE and Opera and I
don't ever see the final redirect header being sent (can you do that after
sending raw data?). Have you tried just dropping step 5 to see if there's
any difference?

If you really want to trigger a reload send them to URL.'?'.time() to
guarantee the page isn't cached.

Better idea: generate the PDFs offline and store them on the filesystem.
you can still serve them the same way if you need to using something like
PHP's readfile().

Steve
--
http://mrclay.org/