[Javascript] DOM vs AJAX

Michael Borchers list at tridemail.de
Tue Jun 20 08:48:05 CDT 2006

> Matt Warden:
>> Surely he is not talking about using AJAX as a way of including files.
>> It's the dynamic content without a page refresh he's after.
> Michael Borchers:
>>> with AJAX i would simply store the elements in a seperate file
>>> and then import it into a <div>
>
>   Storing elements in a file to be included into a div sounded like SSI to
> me.  If SSI is unavailable (change your web host) you could also use
> external scripts (which would get cached by the browser as a bonus, at the
> expense of having to code html in javascript)

i work with php (of course:) ).
it's just about generating for example a new <select> for a form.
one way would be doing it by DOM, the other could be an AJAX / XML request,
calling a seperate file and parsing the result into the div.

such a file is easier to change than a DOM function - i think...

i hope you understand what i mean?