[Javascript] Fjax - Ajax - eliminate need for browser-specific code

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Fri Jun 23 10:47:46 CDT 2006

		Cool idea!

I wonder, though, how much of a net advantage this is.  They claim that it's "only 60 lines of code", but my content retrieval function is rarely that big.  As for this:

'you get a fairly powerful "engine" for parsing that allows you to write your XML parsing code once and use it everywhere.'

   Don't we already do that via functions in external JS files?

   Of course Fjax would be a major boon if you're working with users in older browsers... but of course then you're going to run into a ton of other issues as you try to update content without a refresh.  All in all, it sounds like a very useful tool for edge cases, or those who don't want to bother writing their data retrieval in Javascript (and don't have another tool already).

   Nevertheless, I love innovation like this, simply because it's a creative solution that I've never seen it done before.

Cheers,

Peter

				From: David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU

FYI

http://www.webmonkey.com/06/25/index4a.html

" Fjax works a whole lot like Ajax - it uses an XML file to pass data to a
browser - except that it uses a tiny bit of Flash, instead of the browser,
to parse the XML. All of that browser-specific code is eliminated, leaving
the application more lightweight and putting less of a strain on the browser."

TTFN,
David