[Javascript] Efficiency of innerHTML over DOM tree manipulation

Matt Barton javascript at mattbarton.org
Wed Jun 28 10:30:56 CDT 2006

Paul Novitski wrote:

> When you say "running," do you mean that page-generation is slow or that
> the browser seems sluggish after all the controls have generated?

I mean that the page generation, and very specifically the page
generation, is slow.  Once the page is generated, it's just fine.

> I'd think that Ajax/XMLHttpRequest would be one of the slower methods of
> adding incremental content to a page.  Rather than go back to the server
> for additional content, I'd look closer to home.

You misunderstand me.  No additional requests are made of the server,
nor do I consider making any.  I am talking about using DOM manipulation
to create/insert DOM nodes, instead of our current method of using
innerHTML.

Matt