[Javascript] dynamically hide an element

Aaron Bassett aaronbassett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:27:05 CST 2006

Why is everyone (well minus a few) so dedicated to adding styles 'inline'??
As we all know styles should be kept in the style sheet etc etc

so define a class

.hide {
 display: none; /* or visibility: hidden */
}

and then add and remove the class

there are several nice functions out there to do this already or if you use
the prototype.js library (or even if you dont these methods are easy enough
to remove and add to your own class or create as functions)

Element.addClassName(el, "hide");
Element.removeClassName(el, "hide");

no need to worry if the default property value is inline of block as when
you remove the class it will go back to what it was before, and has the
added benefit of keeping your style away from your function :)