[Javascript] Mapping Image

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Thu Sep 14 10:05:11 CDT 2006

At 9/14/2006 05:02 AM, Henrique Rennó wrote:
>  You'll see what this code does when you point
> the cursor over two different regions. What I
> want to do is to freeze the menu to have time
> to choose some options and turn it off if the
> second region is pointed over or when clicking
> in any free area and vice-versa.

Right.  Now you can add rules that reference the body class like so:

#picture A#part1:hover,
#picture A#part2:hover,
body.part1 A#part1,
body.part2 A#part2
         {border:2px solid #cc0;}

If you do that for each of the :hover rules, then
your javascript can set the body className to
your part id and the hover state will stick until the body class changes again.

There are other ways to do this as well.  I like
the CSS method because a) the javascript logic is
extremely simple and b) all the presentational
details of how things look is confined to the stylesheet.
______________________

By the way, this style rule is redundant:

         #picture A#part1 {...}

Because Ids are unique on the page, there can be
only one #part1, so you don't need to specify its parent.
______________________

Also, these rules are redundant:

         #picture A#part1:hover,
         #picture A#part2:hover

Given your markup, you can probably replace them with one rule:

         #picture A:hover

>This is the code. Change "sun.gif" for any other image.

Next time, please upload the page and images to
your own server and send us the URL.  It's a lot
to ask busy people to create a page and an image
just to see what you're working on.