[Javascript] Hiding email addresses

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Thu Sep 28 08:18:42 CDT 2006

Considering that your less-sophisticated friends are probably putting your personal email address
in the "send this funny stuff to a friend" form, you really shouldn't worry about using your
address in clear text on a web page.  Consider making functional email addresses rather than using
one address for everything.  ex:  use feedback at yourdomain.com and webmaster at yourdomain.com - both
can be aliases for you at yourdomain.com   If you own the mail server, you can probably configure it
to dump 'unknown username' to a single mailbox - that lets you create new usernames for every page
on your site (as nutty as that would be) - then you can set up rules to forward any given "to"
address to a box you actually monitor.

If these mailto links are primarily back to yourself (rather than your customers, etc)  you could
use "...&subject=[key:pageid]_YourSubjectHere&body=Subject must contain key to pass SPAM filter"
 Set your mailbox to automatically reject anything that does not have your key in the subject.
 Harvesters are unlikely to preserve this information when they send their email.

well, that's my off-the-cuff two cents. :)