[Javascript] A Temporary Alert?

tedd tedd.sperling at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 20:22:31 CST 2007

At 6:58 AM -0700 12/23/07, David Lovering wrote:
>This is hardly the most elegant solution, but it works on most browser
>platforms I've dealt with.
>
>In the HTML body declaration of your dialog, create an 'onload' event
>handler of the following sort:
>
>onload = "setTimeout( 'window.this.close()', 5000)";
>
>This is dirt simple, and no doubt will call down the wrath of the Javascript
>gurus with much more refined (and less fragile) solutions.
>
>While you can reference an alert as a window and play the same games, it is
>often hard (and somewhat browser dependent) to do so; I prefer to create a
>child window and use it instead of a generic alert.  With a little
>imagination, you can manipulate the window parameters so that the user is
>completely unaware that he is not talking directly to an alert - but you
>have the window id and name under your full control.  It also is less
>complicated to reference the <body> portion of the code in order to insert
>the onload handler.
>
>-- Dave Lovering

Thanks Dave -- I'll look into that.

It really doesn't have to be an Alert -- it could be a window.

You see, I have a database access that can take up to five seconds
after the user clicks "Submit" and during that time I would like to
tell the user to wait (instead of clicking things widely and throwing
a tantrum) -- which is what I do when I don't know what's happening.

I'm actually surprised that such a critter isn't a staple for
programming GUI stuff.

Cheers,

tedd

-------